Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Intro to GIS - Final Project

In this final project we were tasked with creating four maps focused on a transmission line that went between Sarasota and Manatee counties. The different maps showed different aspects of the surrounding area. The transmission line impacts schools, daycare's, homes, and environmentally sensitive lands which means that the placement or direction of the line would need to change and/or people would have to move.
I felt that the hardest map to create was the one for the centerline, mostly because we had never done a lab for this exercise before. After many failed attempts and Google searches later, a fellow classmate showed me how to do it. But I thought that the concept of the center line was really cool and reminded me of the directional line that you get when you get directions from Google maps.

Presentation link:  http://students.uwf.edu/lac51/Intro2GIS/IntrotoGIS_FinalProject.pptx

Transcript link:file: http://students.uwf.edu/lac51/Intro2GIS/Transcript.pdf




Thursday, April 6, 2017

Intro to GIS - Lab 14

In this lab I went back to the LULC map that I created in week 3. We had to place 30 points on the map and determine whether or not they were accurately classified using google maps and street view to more clearly see the points. My map was 73% accurate and I used a systematic layout to place my points. This was an easy lab, but I thought that it was very annoying having to zoom in and out over and over again in both my LULC map and on Google Maps.


Monday, April 3, 2017

Intro to GIS - Lab 13

In this lab we were given an image and had to georeference buildings on the UWF campus to it. I thought that this was very confusing in the way that it was explained, and it took a few tries to actually get it right. Once the map was georeferenced then we had to identify different features on the map and add them to the attribute table. The next part of the lab was done in ArcScene where we created a 3D image of the map. I thought that looking at the map from different angles was really cool because you could see all of the different elevations across the UWF campus.



Monday, March 27, 2017

Intro to GIS - Lab 12

In this lab we had to create an optimal route between EMS stations in Lake County, Florida. Some of the stations did not have an address, so we had to create an address locator to find them. I felt like this was the most time consuming and frustrating part of the lab because the system took forever to load, there were so many windows open, and each time that you found a new address you had to readjust all of your windows to be able to see what you needed to see. Once all of the addresses were found the lab was pretty straight forward, but ArcGIS was running much slower than normal, so any changes in the map layout or adding or removing data, took a very long time to load.


Thursday, March 23, 2017

Remote Sensing - Lab 12

In this lab I was not sure what we were supposed to be doing. The instructions were not very clear about the objectives and what the end result should be. We were given an image and were tasked with identifying different features on it, be it by coordinates or polygons, and then we had to classify everything. I had to do the deliverables for this lab twice, because my first map came out all one color. I think it was because I accidentally included more pixels than I meant to when I was creating the polygon for the road.


Monday, March 20, 2017

Into to GIS - Lab 10

In this lab we had to create a map of possible campsite locations. The potential campsite locations had to have certain characteristics to them to be considered. We had to use certain overlay tools to make sure that the campsites had all of the characteristics. The one part of the lab that I didn't understand was, why did we have to crate all of the different buffer layer distances for the roads and water if we weren't going to use them? I found all of the different layers distracting and it felt like a lot of clutter in my table of contents when I was working on my map.

Thursday, March 9, 2017

Remote Sensing - Lab 9

In this lab we were given an image and had to change the pixel class to represent one of five categories. This was not an overly difficult lab, but it was very tedious and time consuming. Identifying and classifying the pixels was more challenging near the end because the unidentified ones were harder to find (made easier by highlighting). Then when I changed the color of the pixels to get rid of grass on the roof of a building, it changed more on the image than I wanted there to be. I found out, the hard way, that you have to close the attribute table in ERDAS for the image layer to be saved and updated.